#3 DevOps Diary: Helm(ets) on
Welcome beautiful people,
I hope you are healthy and happy — and ready to dive into more DevOps topics 🎉
I want to hear from you!!! 🙏🏼
If you are like me (or the opposite) and you would love to share interesting topics in the DevOps space on a regular basis within a smaller group — Please let me know! I want to start a DevOps learning group to make this more fun and to encourage more knowledge sharing!
So let's start creating exciting DevOps content 🙌🏼🙌🏽🙌🏿
Editor Note (I.e. me, writer, author, editor, wannabe meme generator)
A lot of the stuff I am coming across does not make it into the newsletter — sometimes I listen to podcasts and read blog posts to discover that they are not as good as that I want to "collect" them. So I hope you bear with me in the process of finding sexier sources. 👯♀️
- Flux 2 is going to come out soon!!! You can already see a sneak-peak in the repository and view some videos from their recent meetups by Leigh Capili
- Helm made updates to the location of Stable and Incubator Charts — if you are curious and you want to know more about what this means, or maybe you are affected, head over to their blog.
- I came across this YouTube Channel on the weekend; while it is not DevOps specific, Chuck definitely knows what he is talking about ➕ his videos are highly entertaining!!!
- If you want to get started with Kubernetes — I made a tutorial (video and written) on how to set-up microk8s on Ubuntu (similar to the more discussed minikube) — And then you can either learn Kubernetes the hard way or use Helm for a smoother onboarding experience 😁 Leading me to the next section...
Blog Posts 🗞️
- I have started to put together more comprehensive notes on Helm, which you can find here. Those will be primarily based on different learning courses and the book "Learning Helm" by Josh Dolitsky, Matt Farina, and Matt Butcher
- Ok, enough of the self-praise 😋 This blog post on Infrastructure as Code is pretty neat and worth a read
- How the Kubernetes scheduler works — Opensource.com has a bunch of good material
- Monthly "Getting into DevOps" thread with some awesome resource
I have looked through several DevOps-related podcast recommendations; and these are the ones I definitely liked the most so far:
Podcasts and events are selected based on industry-relevance, content-quality, and diversity (yes, I don't JUST want to listen to a men-only-club)
In case you are curious on learning how GitOps is used in the full Application Lifecycle, someone who knows what he is talking about is giving a webinar TODAY — hope to see you there 👋🏽
- deploy by Digital Ocean https://www.digitalocean.com/deploy/ Nov 10, 2020 → Nov 11, 2020
- Improve the Reliability of Your Kubernetes Clusters https://webinars.devops.com/improve-the-reliability-of-your-kubernetes-clusters Nov 10, 2020
- GitOps Days https://www.gitopsdays.com/ Nov 12, 2020 → Nov 13, 2020
- KubeCon https://events.linuxfoundation.org/kubecon-cloudnativecon-north-america/ Nov 17, 2020 → Nov 20, 2020
- AWS re:Invent https://reinvent.awsevents.com/ Nov 30, 2020 → Dec 18, 2020
- Global SKILup Festival https://devopsinstitute.com/skilup-festival/ Dec 7, 2020 → Dec 11, 2020
- Universe2020 https://githubuniverse.com/ Dec 8, 2020 → Dec 10, 2020